IELTS is an international exam to assess the proficiency level of English language, of the students, who wish to go to other countries for their studies or work, or to settle abroad. IELTS checks a candidates proficiency in English language in the four components, namely listening, reading, writing and speaking. Candidates think that if their language skills are good, then they can write the exam on their own, but there are certain areas which require guidance from the certified trainers and it is always better to attend classes for few weeks before writing the exam. These five reasons listed below will strengthen your belief in doing so: –
1. First is the importance of time management. IELTS tests your ability to finish off a particular task in a stipulated time. For example, the reading module has to be finished within one hour and for this practice is required. Writing also requires time management and for this writing an essay within half an hour is to be practised. If a candidate does this on their own, they may not be able to manage their time. So it becomes important to join an academy/institute which will guide you about the time management skills.
2. Reading module requires some skills which can be taught by a trainer. Furthermore, there are certain strategies which require guided practice in a classroom environment. For this, the candidate, under the supervision of the trainer can learn some tips and tricks to solve the comprehension passages and also regular feedback can able to overcome the difficulties faced in a particular set of questions. For instance if the pupil is weak in MCQ type of questions, they can be guided by the teacher to adopt, process of elimination, for these types of questions to get a correct answer. Only a competent trainer will know about these techniques so it is always beneficial to prepare for the exam under supervision.
3. Writing section has to be evaluated by a trainer in order to get feedback. At times candidates write essays /letters or reports but they are not aware of how to structure a particular task. In addition to this, the marking criteria is also of paramount importance. For this, guided practice is required and a certified trainer can actually tell you the nuances of a particular language. Grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary and coherence in a particular task can be polished by a mentor to help you get a good band score.
4. Next, the very important thing is the speaking module which would require a examiner to test your skills. Pronunciation, fluency, intonation and stress can be improved by a guided session and the feedback can help one to correct silly mistakes and structure the talk according to the requirement of the exams. Speaking needs to be evaluated and for this, it is important to get a regular feedback from a trainer to hone your skills.
5. In the end, to know about the dos and don’ts on the exam day, and certain strategies to enhance your weak areas one requires to have a formal coaching for the exam, and for this Masterprep, one of the leading institutes for preparation of IELTS is offering both online and offline batches.