There are three categories of essays namely, Argumentative (A), Hidden (H) and Situational (S).
Topics “A” present an Argument and you need to explore pros and cons, reasons for and against, while you support only one side.
Topics “H” present a Hidden Argument. These topics usually ask “To what extent…?” “In what way……?” “How has something charged……?”
Topics “S” present a Situation and you need to explore reasons why it is, what it is, assume what will happen in the future and suggest solutions to problems if required.
Essay of (Argument)
- The introduction paragraph must clearly state the argument, both sides of it. Do not simply copy the topic from the question, try to paraphrase it.
Don’t give your own opinion, save it for later.
- Content (at least 2) must refer to each side of the argument. It is always better to write the first paragraph about the side you disagree with. The side you do agree with should be in the last body paragraph, because this way it naturally leads to the conclusion.
- The conclusion paragraph should contain summary of the points you were making. Never mind if the paragraph turns out to be short, the important thing is that you kept the structure of the essay.
Essay of Hidden Argument
- The introduction paragraph must define the question you need to reveal the hidden argument. Rewrite the topic, so it will say what it really means.
From “to what extent something affects……” to “Does something affect….?”
From “in what way something contributes?” to does something contribute?”
From “how does something influence………….?” To “does something influence…………?”
Now it became an argument with two sides, and you write essay of kind “A”.
Essay of Situation
- The introduction paragraph must state that situation and explain it. Don’t give your own opinion here.
- Content (at least 2) should describe reasons that lead to the situation, making it like it is now. Each paragraph should talk about one reason.
The conclusion paragraph should summarize the points of the essay. If the task requires suggesting solution to problems, recommendations, advice – this is the place for it. If your opinion is required you should also give it in the conclusion paragraph.